- Makes: 6 servings (4 muffins per serving)
- Prep: 30 mins Start to Finish: 50 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 large egg, well beaten
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped kalamata olives
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cooking until the onion is tender, about 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a mini-muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, oregano, sugar, garlic powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Stir milk, feta, egg, tomato paste and olives into the onion mixture. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Fill the prepared muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake the muffins until lightly browned, 13 to 15 minutes. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- MAKE AHEAD TIP: Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Serve at room temperature or reheat at 350 degrees F.
- Equipment: Mini-muffin pan with 24 (2-tablespoon) muffin cups.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
PER SERVING: 39 cal., 2 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 11 mg chol., 106 mg sodium, 4 g carb. 1 g pro.